Social media is no doubt taking over the makeup industry, if not the world. But if you’re not up to scratch with the latest social media lingo, it can leave you feeling a little out of the loop.
But don’t worry makeup artist moguls, Posh Look is here to help you step up your social media game! If you want to know your Instagram from your Facebook, your likes from your retweets, then this is the perfect blog for you.
Makeup artists rely heavily on social media to spread brand awareness and generate those all-important clients. But that doesn’t mean it’s easy. Plus, you want to stand out from the crowd don’t you? Well, without further ado here are our top tips for being a boss bae when it comes to social media.
We’re going to give you a breakdown of the top social platforms for makeup artists and how to use them to your advantage.
Which Platforms Should I Use?
As the world of social media has taken centre stage in many of our lives, more and more platforms have come out of the shadows. But that doesn’t mean that you need to be on all of them. As the old saying goes – it’s all about quality over quantity.
Typically, a makeup artist’s target clientele can be found on Instagram (aka the holy grail), Facebook and Tik Tok. So, they’re the three platforms we’re going to focus on in this blog.
If you’re looking to become a successful MUA, then Instagram is a must. As soon as you open this app, you’re flooded with high quality pics of the hottest makeup trends and artists in the world.
Now don’t let that threaten you – Instagram offers you the opportunity to become part of the makeup community and network with like-minded creatives.
Here are our top three tips for making it big on Instagram:
- Feed visualisation – it’s all about aesthetic. And as a makeup artist this is extremely important to consider. Your feed is the first thing people see when they click on your profile. You can post pictures in certain orders to create different patterns – check out Posh Look’s feed below for an example of a diamond feed. You can also create feeds with a coherent colour scheme by using the same filter throughout – play around and experiment until you find your style.
- Stories – Instagram stories allow you to post quick updates throughout the day that disappear after 24 hours. These are perfect for showing BTS shots, quick videos and interacting with your followers with Q&As. They don’t need to be super professional – keep it lighthearted but on brand!
- Camera quality – Instagram can act as an MUAs portfolio, so if you really want to take it seriously you need to make sure your camera quality is on point. That doesn’t mean you need to invest in expensive equipment. Many phones come with good quality cameras and you can pop a cheap ring light on for extra clarity! Plus, free photo editing apps like VSCO can help you sharpen up and saturate your pics.
Most popular time to post: 11am – 1pm and 6pm – 9pm on weekdays
Facebook is a great addition to your set of social media profiles. It’s personal, friendly and can act as an online shop for your services. There’s a real sense of community on Facebook and you can use this app to tap into your local clientele.
Here are our top three tips for mastering Facebook:
- Facebook Business Manager – Business manager is a great asset for individuals and businesses who want to use social media to their advantage. It gives you great insights into metrics such as engagement, likes, followers etc. It also allows you to post important details such as opening times, location and other information about your business. On top of this, you can now link your shop and booking times to your Facebook page so people can shop your services straight from social media!
- Engage with others – Facebook is the land of community forums and groups – the perfect playground for promoting your business to potential customers. Join your local business and community pages and advertise your makeup services to get your name out there. Engaging and interacting with other business’ content will also get you more involved in the MUA community.
- Link – if you have a website, portfolio or online booking system make sure you link back to it in every post! This will drive traffic to your other digital assets and increase awareness around your business. You can also plug your other socials to increase followers on each platform.
The home of viral videos, Tik Tok is a fun and free platform where anyone can become a novice videographer. Tik Tok has managed to take the beauty community by storm within the last year and it’s easy to see why. Many beauty gurus upload quick and snappy tutorials, product recommendations and show off their amazing work.
Video marketing is on the rise so Tik Tok is a great way to hop on this trend without forking out on expensive set ups and camera equipment.
Here are our top three tips for going viral on Tik Tok:
- Keep up with trends – many popular songs, dances and challenges have emerged from Tik Tok – you probably know a few yourself! So if you want to stay on top of your Tik Tok game, it’s a good idea to incorporate the latest trends into your videos. For example, layer a popular sound over your makeup tutorial and you’re bound to get more attention.
- Get creative – nobody goes on Tik Tok to stare at a boring and long winded 10 minute video. In a world of quick wins, people want snappy and engaging content that’s straight to the point. Create eye catching makeup looks, dramatic presentations and incorporate humour to increase your views and likes.
- Practice makes perfect – we get it, Tik Tok is still a new creation in the social media world and the thought of getting in front of the camera may scare you. But we promise it pays off. You’ll soon get into the swing of making videos and get the hang of all the filters, edits and effects that this fun platform has to offer. Remember, social media should be light hearted!
Posh Look Level 3 Makeup Artistry Courses
As you’ve learnt, social media is a great tool for MUAs to promote their services and the world is your oyster when it comes to creating amazing content. But if you’re just starting out, you may want to consider completing an official qualification first to get your career off the ground.
At Posh Look, we offer Level 3 Makeup Artistry courses for people of all experience levels. And what’s more, you can now complete your training online! Browse all of our courses and enrol today by heading to our training page.