White labelling and private labelling are two terms we’re sure you’re already familiar with. However, the two terms are often used interchangeably. But considering they are two different things; this makes it a little confusing.
If you’re looking to release your very own range of cosmetics, such as nail products, you may be unsure whether to choose a white label cosmetic manufacturer or a private label cosmetic manufacturer.
In this blog, we’ll outline the pros and cons of both white labelling and private labelling and share our insights on which is the best option for your brand.
What Are White Label Cosmetics?
White label cosmetics are high-quality, off-the-shelf products that are formulated by a manufacturer before being labelled with your very own branding and sold as your own products.
A manufacturer may supply the same cosmetic products to various beauty and cosmetic businesses, but each business will have its own labelling on the products. Each business will market the cosmetic products as their own to customers.
For example, if you own a nail salon and you want your own gel polishes to increase your brand awareness, or your own nail polishes to sell to customers, you can use a white label cosmetic manufacturer. You will be able to choose from a wide range of colours before rebranding the products as your own and selling them or using them in your salon.
The Pros And Cons Of White Label Cosmetics
If you would like a simple way to offer your own products, white label cosmetics is certainly the best way to go. Here are the pros of white labelling cosmetic products:
- Your own branded products can be sourced quickly and easily.
- Your business takes advantage of high-quality products formulated by a manufacturer that is renowned for creating that specific product.
- You avoid the development and manufacturing process, which saves a great deal of time and money.
- The cosmetic has already been tried and tested – you know your customers will love it.
- The products are already manufactured and can be labelled as and when you need them, meaning you can order low amounts as your build up demand for your new product.
- You can heavily influence the design, branding and packaging, to ensure it is in line with your brand.
- White labelling is affordable, making it suitable for beauty brands on a budget.
And the cons of white labelling cosmetic products:
- You cannot change the formula of the product, so, your product will not be unique to others on the market.
- It can be very difficult to change the supplier, without having to change the product itself.
- Depending on the manufacturer you choose, there may be a limited choice when it comes to the products.
What Are Private Label Cosmetics?
Private label cosmetics are also formulated by a manufacturer, the key difference is, you can change the formula, so it is unique to your brand. The private labelling route is ideal if you want to formulate and launch a brand new product to the market.
The Pros And Cons Of Private Label Cosmetics
If you want to bring something brand new to the beauty and cosmetics industry, private label cosmetics may be the best option for your business. Here are the pros of private labelling cosmetic products:
- You can launch a product that is completely unique to your brand and won’t mimic other products on the market.
- You have control over the ingredients and the look/smell/colours/consistency of the products, as well as the packaging and branding.
- The product line can be expanded as your business grows.
- The product can be reformulated or changed as your product line expands.
And the cons of private label cosmetics:
- Enhancing a manufacturers formula to make it unique – and getting it perfect – can take a lot of time and effort.
- Private labelling is more expensive due to the initial development cost and the lengthy manufacturing process.
- Because the product is formulated specifically for your brand, if you don’t use it or sell it, you will lose money.
- Creating a brand identity with your new product and building up a customer base will take longer.
- Your customers will hold you responsible for the product and the manufacturer. If there is a problem with the quality of the product, or if your manufacturer does something unethical, it can severely damage the reputation of your business.
White label cosmetics and private label cosmetics both have advantages. If you are a beauty brand on a budget, or you want to take your very own branded product to your salons and customers quickly and easily – white labelling is for you.
White labelling cosmetics is also a great way to test an idea and build up a loyal customer base before formulating your own cosmetic product. It builds brand awareness and positions your brand as a beauty professional.
Private labelling is more suited to retailers or beauty brands with a larger budget that want to introduce a brand new product to the beauty industry. It is a long process and requires more of an investment.
Whether you opt for white labelling or private labelling, the key is to choose a manufacturer that you trust.
Poshlook White Label Cosmetics
If you have always dreamt of having your own range of cosmetics, but you’re unsure where to start, get in touch with us. At Posh Look, we offer white labelling for cosmetic products.
Our experienced team makes it simple for you to put your branding on your very own product range. We source, label and deliver your branded products! At Posh Look, we want to ensure that our white label clients have 100% trust in us.
Our White Labelling Cosmetics Service includes full licensing and insurance, this means you are completely covered by our insurance to resell your products. We can also provide MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for each product, giving yourself and your customers peace of mind. This also covers your back if something unfortunate was to happen i.e., a customer having an allergic reaction.
The Posh Look White Labelling service also includes production of branded packaging and the labelling and delivery of products to your salon and your customers. We also provide full website packages including an e-commerce shop and online marketing help to push your brand out to your target audience.
Posh Look is a professional Nail Brand and Training School, with 8 centres across the UK.